Re: Future of GNOME release sets [was: Re: TwoPointThirtyone]

Quick comments...

Le mercredi 03 mars 2010, à 23:23 +0100, Frederic Peters a écrit :
> Vincent Untz wrote:
>
> >  + split the desktop in what is really the core desktop, and what is
> >    "only" applications. (this was already covered in other proposed
> >    solutions)
>
> So I went over the wiki page, and tried to fit modules into sets, with
> some analysis of the dependencies using jhbuild.
>
> Core (or whatever other name)
>
>  - alacarte, could technically be moved out of core apps, kept as it
>    was listed in core apps on the wiki page, presumably "legacy" once
>    gnome shell gets in?

Yeah, wouldn't put it in core.

>  - evince, used for print previews (not in core in the wiki page)
>  - evolution-data-server

Shouldn't it be in the (non-API/ABI stable part of the) platform?

>  - gdm
>  - gnome-backgrounds, could technically be moved out
>  - gnome-control-center, has gnome-panel and metacity deps at the
>    moment
>  - gnome-desktop
>  - gnome-doc-utils, could be moved to platform?

It's going to disappear anyway, if I recall correctly the yelp 3.0
plans. It will be split in different things.

>  - gnome-icon-theme
>  - gnome-keyring
>  - gnome-media, in core for volume control, would this be integrated
>    straight into gnome shell?
>  - gnome-menus
>  - gnome-power-manager, could technically be moved out, but a core
>    part of a modern desktop, has gnome-panel dep for the brightness
>    and inhibit applets
>  - gnome-screensaver, could technically be moved out
>  - gnome-session
>  - gnome-settings-daemon
>  - gnome-themes
>  - gstreamer, gst-plugins-base & gst-plugins-good, to be considered
>    platform?

Yep, platform.

>  - gtk-engines
>  - gtkhtml, only used by evolution now, what about the webkit switch?
>  - gvfs
>  - libgnome-keyring

Probably platform (in the non-stable part).

>  - libgnomekbd
>  - libgweather, required by evolution-data-server
>  - librsvg
>  - libsoup

The last 3 could go in the platform too.

>  - libwnck, marked as probably deprecated in 3.0 in the wiki, really?

Well, its most visible use case is the applets, so...

>  - nautilus, could be moved to legacy in 3.0, control center is said
>    to depend on it, but I think it's not true

Hmm, why legacy?

>  - yelp
>
> This brings 35 external dependencies (current desktop suite brings 61).
>
> "Legacy Core"
>
>  - gnome-applets, brings gucharmap
>  - gnome-panel
>  - metacity, brings zenity
>
> Apps
>
> Well, the rest.  Question marks on:
>
>  - bug-buddy, is this core?

Probably not. It's dying anyway, with most distributions switching to
something different.

>  - eog, too bad evince doesn't do images yet

Hrm, could be arguably in both core and apps.

>  - gnome-bluetooth, moved here as it depends on nautilus-sendto, which
>    I note now is not mandatory
>  - gtksourceview, listed as core in the wiki page

Not sure about those two.