Re: Future of GNOME release sets [was: Re: TwoPointThirtyone]

Vincent Untz wrote:

>  + split the desktop in what is really the core desktop, and what is
>    "only" applications. (this was already covered in other proposed
>    solutions)

So I went over the wiki page, and tried to fit modules into sets, with
some analysis of the dependencies using jhbuild.

Core (or whatever other name)

 - alacarte, could technically be moved out of core apps, kept as it
   was listed in core apps on the wiki page, presumably "legacy" once
   gnome shell gets in?
 - evince, used for print previews (not in core in the wiki page)
 - evolution-data-server
 - gdm
 - gnome-backgrounds, could technically be moved out
 - gnome-control-center, has gnome-panel and metacity deps at the
   moment
 - gnome-desktop
 - gnome-doc-utils, could be moved to platform?
 - gnome-icon-theme
 - gnome-keyring
 - gnome-media, in core for volume control, would this be integrated
   straight into gnome shell?
 - gnome-menus
 - gnome-power-manager, could technically be moved out, but a core
   part of a modern desktop, has gnome-panel dep for the brightness
   and inhibit applets
 - gnome-screensaver, could technically be moved out
 - gnome-session
 - gnome-settings-daemon
 - gnome-themes
 - gstreamer, gst-plugins-base & gst-plugins-good, to be considered
   platform?
 - gtk-engines
 - gtkhtml, only used by evolution now, what about the webkit switch?
 - gvfs
 - libgnome-keyring
 - libgnomekbd
 - libgweather, required by evolution-data-server
 - librsvg
 - libsoup
 - libwnck, marked as probably deprecated in 3.0 in the wiki, really?
 - nautilus, could be moved to legacy in 3.0, control center is said
   to depend on it, but I think it's not true
 - yelp

This brings 35 external dependencies (current desktop suite brings 61).

"Legacy Core"

 - gnome-applets, brings gucharmap
 - gnome-panel
 - metacity, brings zenity

Apps

Well, the rest.  Question marks on:

 - bug-buddy, is this core?
 - eog, too bad evince doesn't do images yet
 - gnome-bluetooth, moved here as it depends on nautilus-sendto, which
   I note now is not mandatory
 - gtksourceview, listed as core in the wiki page

Comments?

        Frederic