Re: Notes from FOSDEM impromptu meeting

Just some additions to expand on the minutes.

On Mon, Feb 08, 2010 at 12:45:49PM +0100, Frederic Crozat wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we had a impromptu meeting yesterday in Brussels. Here are the notes I
> took (might be incomplete)
>
> state 2.29
> -issue :
> + evolution stability (dbus) : ubuntu will stick to 2.28 (2.28.3 scheduled)
> + gnome-keyring.

The new version is giving issues. If you used gnome-keyring before there
was some problem with that. Forgot the details though. Either it didn't
save your passwords, or it didn't migrate.

> + Clutter in gnome-games

Usage of clutter in gnome-games means that we're relying more and more
on an up to date system with good capabilities. Within gnome-games this
might not matter that much, but something to keep in mind.

Discussion changed that for gnome-shell, it is going to be different.
We're really raising the requirements (hardware/software/drivers) for
GNOME. This is also what triggered the request for gnome-shell tarballs,
as we need to get packages (+distro involvement, more than the ones we
have now).
Note: even personally I want packages with regular updates so I can try
out gnome-shell for myself (no interest in setting up a build
environment for this, I keep that separate).

> + libgnome (tomboy). Libglade

Stuff still using old libraries.

> gnome 3
> + dconf . Hackfest around porting big apps,migration plan,

Basically, we need to make lots of progress here.

As mentioned, purpose of the hackfest is to port the big applications
(heavy gconf users). This to fix any problems found (and would stabilize
dconf at same time). Further, it 'proves' dconf is ready for the rest of
the applications.

Further, migration of settings is really important. We cannot just
accept a clean slate. Will get lots of negative feedback. Hackfest
should also focus on migration script or something.
PS: Now that I think of it, this was discussed. Think on d-d-l. Still,
we should not accept no migration (and of course, that can be more
advanced/better than dumping gconf directly into dconf).

> documentation status.

We need good dconf documentation. Currently that is lacking.

> + gtk3 : is it happening ?
> Options :
> -- Keep gtk2
> -- start with gtk2 for now and switch to gtk3 latter
> -- kick gtk3 people butt
> -- delay GNOME3
> + accessibility :
> --corba for 2.30 / dbus for 3

Also mentioned that foundation has some money for this, more than
Mozilla just donated.

> --caribou : no longer anyone working on it (layed off)
> --Willie Worker no longer working at Sun.

Personal: Both are a big problem.

> + Gnome-shell :
> --Call for screenshots of gnome-panel (applets/launcher use)
> --Tarballs
> --window list

Lack of window list seems confusing. Need to ask what is planned.

Personally: Lots of empty space when I played around with gnome-shell,
so seems a window list could easily fit. Wonder why it isn't there.

> --graphic driver status

Distribution (and as a result: user) involvement needed so we're well
prepared. Need to get more users to use it before it is announced as
3.0.

> --a11y status

Need to ask. Last status was that it is slowly worked upon, still the
case? Still ready before 2.32?

> + GNOME Activity Journal/zeitgest :
> --Porting parts to C

Forgot if it was personal or all: No Python as a daemon (startup stuff).

> --started integration in gnome-shell
> -design ?

Need some design (usability etc).

> +Unmaintained modules : evolution-webcal

It is unmaintained. IIRC it needed patches to make it ready for 3.0. But
these patches needed a review, cannot be committed without someone
reviewing it.

Recall vuntz had a good idea about this, but not what it was :-)

Did remember a 'review team' discussion, maybe that was the suggestion
from vuntz. Team who can commit such 'low hanging fruit' patches. Team
must of course know what they're doing (review, not everything, not
meant as something which ignores maintainers).

--
Regards,
Olav