Re: [gst-devel] Request for comment (GStreamer team): release date for GNOME 3.0

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 1:19 PM, Stefan Kost <ensonic hora-obscura de> wrote:
> Vincent Untz schrieb:
>> Hi,
>>
>> The release team is gathering comments from various teams to get a
>> proper idea of which of March or September 2010 is more appropriate for
>> the release of GNOME 3.0. The decision for the release date is following
>> what we set in the 3.0 planning document [1]: we want 3.0 to be out in
>> 2010, but we also want to make sure that 3.0 is rock-solid; your input
>> will help us take an informed decision.
>>
>> It'd be great if someone could summarize the status of the work that is
>> being done in GStreamer at the moment, and how a GNOME 3.0 release in
>> March or September would work for you. I know that in Gran Canaria, last
>> summer, the GStreamer hackers discussed releasing GStreamer 1.0 in 2010,
>> and if we can integrate it in GNOME 3.0, that'd be quite cool!
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Vincent
>>
>> PS: make sure to cc the release team for the reply ;-)
>>
>> [1] http://live.gnome.org/ThreePointZero/Plan
>>

> Vincent, we're not ignoring you :) We kind of have business as usual in Gst
> land. After guadec it became somewhat quiet around the 1.0 discussion. Now we
> discuss some more and March seems tough from my point of view. I hope other core
> devs reply as well.

More than just the timing, I think it's that there's a lack of
consensus in the GStreamer community that there's any reason to move
to 1.0 - whilst we have a list of things we'd change, they're all
relatively minor, as far as I know, and it's a disruptive API change -
that the net benefit would be positive is far from clear.

I think it's very clear that a GNOME 3.0 release in March would not
include a GStreamer 1.0 - but that's not a bad thing, we don't think
there's anything too major wrong with the 0.10 design. September might
be possible if there was consensus over that being a worthwhile goal
to aim for - however, GStreamer is very widely used _outside_ the
GNOME platform/desktop, so we wouldn't want to do so solely to be part
of the GNOME 3.0 plan.

Mike