Re: [draft] Planning for GNOME 3.0

Le lundi 30 mars 2009, à 16:24 -0400, Luis Villa a écrit :
> On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 4:01 PM, Vincent Untz <vuntz gnome org> wrote:
> > That being said, I think having an aggressive schedule is the
> > right thing to do. It's also why it's clearly mentioned that things
> > might not be ready in time and that we should be ready to accept it.
>
> Yes, I think you're right that it is the right thing to do. But just
> don't be surprised when it isn't ready. :)
>
> [relatedly: how does this fall on the enterprise schedules of the
> distros? right before? right after? in other words, are they going to
> have free cycles to help us with?]

When we discussed this during an advisory board meeting back in November
(?), I asked this question and got no real reply from companies. No big
surprise. But they seemed to be okay with the proposed schedule, so...

> > (now, if most people think this proposed schedule is too crazy, we can
> > certainly change this)
>
> I might add some language (perhaps to the section on testing?)
> stressing that our time-based releases are also always quality-based
> releases- the QA team has always reserved the right to delay releases
> that aren't ready. Maybe this will be the first time the QA team has
> ever had to use that. ;)

Ooooh, love it. I changed the paragraph related to this to:

Of course, we should be prepared to consider the fact that GNOME 2.30
might not be good enough for us to call it 3.0. All of our time-based
releases are also quality-based releases: if the QA team feels a release
should be delayed, then it will be delayed. In the context of 3.0, this
is something that we should be ready to diagnose early on during the
2.29 development cycle and we should not be afraid of keeping GNOME 2.30
as 2.30 and waiting for GNOME 2.32 for the 3.0 release, for example.
That being said, we want the community to try as hard as possible to
make "GNOME 2.30 = GNOME 3.0" a success.

(will send the new draft once I'm done with Lucas' comments ;-))