Face to face meeting at FOSDEM

Many r-t people attended FOSDEM, so we did a spontaneous and quick face
to face meeting in one of the hallways. I took minutes of everything
that was discussed regarding GNOME 3, see below.

Note:
 @  = ACTION
 @? = unassigned ACTION

I tried to make the minutes reflect the discussion. However, there might
be things that can be misinterpreted (so if it looks strange pls ask for
clarification).

attending

lucasr, fredp, fcrozat, andre, vuntz, bkor

Overall:
 - andre wants good overview of the plan, check schedule if removing
   deprecated stuff is feasible

Sharing our thoughts:
 - lucasr wants documents describing plan:
   deadline to review draft: 22 Feb, final 1 week later (fix details)
    - platform plan
      @andre
    - user experience
      @lucasr
    - release mng + schedule
      @vuntz
   --> when having 'final', send to key people like stormy
   --> publish at 2.26 release
   --> use google docs until final publication, to avoid noise
   @? starting 22-28 Feb discuss with companies/organizations
   @lucasr,vuntz ask board to bless r-t

user experience:
 - gnome-shell (relies on gnome introspection, clutter metacity, etc)
   --> owen promised beta/alpha tarball in March 2009
       @? need to check if still the case
   also:
     @? need to check if fixes are shared between clutter metacity and
        main metacity
 - organizing your files (journal idea from federico)
   --> last is bit unsure

platform:
 - gtk+ 3 (animations)
 - clutter
 - cleaning up the crap (removing deprecated stuff)
 - have chpe fix buildsystem (move stuff to gnome-common, consistent
   build system)
    @? need to ask him
 - need replacement for libgnome (even say if functionality won't exist
   anymore)
    @? ask to update LibgnomeMustDie wikipage and its DONE/TODOs

release management:
 - automated check to ensure no deprecated stuff in modules (buildbot ->
   fredp)
 - vuntz: people might want gnome-panel and so on, keep old 2.x branch
   fcrozat: short timeframe, perhaps 6 months

schedule:
 - get money from L, use that to contract devs we want to work fulltime
   on 3
   --> brainstorm type thought

vuntz proposal:
 - maybe split r-t in two, one for 2.x (releases), one for 3?
 - make proposal regarding 3, sell to distributions, then announce with
   approval from board

lucasr:
 - need something which makes it easy to work on, perhaps have
   distributions have gnome3 dev environment by 2.28 also e.g. weekly
   releases / tag of trunk

--
Regards,
Olav