"Automatic" bump of some external deps

Hello all,

Sometime during last cycle we talked a bit about automatic bumping of
certain external dependencies, although I think it was related to
Ekiga (which has the unfortunate tendency to depend on unreleased
versions of ptlib and opal), it may also have sense for others.

What kind of new guidelines could we set here ?  Some ideas:

 - only bumping of minor version
   - and for modules with a promise of ABI stability
 - only for external deps that are required by <n modules

Comments ?

        Frederic