Re: GNOME 3.0 Schedule draft; Streamlining of the Platform.

Hi,

On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 9:51 AM, Cosimo Cecchi <cosimoc gnome org> wrote:
> I add another question here, as a complete dconf/GConf newbie:
> is depending on Bonobo/Corba vs DBus the only thing that makes GConf not
> useful towards GNOME 3.0 or are there some other
> design/preformance/whatever issues requiring a full rewrite to be
> solved?

http://projects.gnome.org/gconf/plans.html
http://projects.gnome.org/gconf/plans-spec.html

(would recommend checklisting dconf against this list, I think Ryan
and I did a couple years ago, but there's been a lot of change since)

> We learned, with the GIO transition, that porting lots of applications
> isn't fun, and is something which takes much time to be completed
> project-wide. As GConf is probably even more widely used than gnome-vfs
> was, porting could be an even bigger effort.

The only sane thing imo would be to have a gconf compatibility wrapper
around dconf.

Havoc