Re: GNOME 3.0 Schedule draft; Streamlining of the Platform.

On Thu, 2009-04-02 at 14:30 +0100, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-04-02 at 13:41 +0100, Alberto Ruiz wrote:
> > >
> > > There is gconf-dbus, the long-standing port of GConf to DBus that
> > > Imendio did for Maemo.  Moblin also ships it and it shouldn't be *too*
> > > difficult to merge it back[1].
> >
> > My understanding on this after talking with Richard Hult, is that
> > there is no GConf maintainer, and the DBus port is a huge hack and not
> > really suitable for the main branch, and that a proper merge would
> > need a lot of work.
>
> Is it more or less work than finishing the replacement, and porting all
> the apps and developer documentation, as well as writing porting
> documentation?

I add another question here, as a complete dconf/GConf newbie:
is depending on Bonobo/Corba vs DBus the only thing that makes GConf not
useful towards GNOME 3.0 or are there some other
design/preformance/whatever issues requiring a full rewrite to be
solved?

We learned, with the GIO transition, that porting lots of applications
isn't fun, and is something which takes much time to be completed
project-wide. As GConf is probably even more widely used than gnome-vfs
was, porting could be an even bigger effort.

Ciao,

Cosimo