Re: GDM version used for GNOME 2.24?

Hi,

On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 6:39 PM, Vincent Untz <vuntz gnome org> wrote:
> Le mercredi 10 septembre 2008, à 09:39 -0400, Willie Walker a écrit :
>> Hi:
>>
>> I asked this earlier, but I might have missed the response.  Have the
>> accessibility issues been resolved with the new GDM?  In particular,
>> does accessible login still work and do the keyboard/mouse/dwell
>> gestures still work to launch assistive technologies?  I know there was
>> a great plan in place (thanks Jon McCann!), but if it hasn't been
>> completed, I think this is a show stopper regression. :-(
>
> Let's do it this way: if there's no reply about this before Tuesday noon
> (UTC), we go with the old GDM (where reply can be "it's not ready",
> "it's ready", "we're working on this").
>
> I hate putting deadlines for this kind of things, but translators need
> to know what we're going to do.

I think Jon is in Portland right now for the Plumbers conference, so
I'll try to answer for him.

I believe Brian wrote some code to port the dwell listeners over to
the new GDM some time ago.  It's not completely finished, but it's
most of the way there.

On the other hand, Jon wants it to be done from gnome-settings-daemon
instead of from GDM. One of the big rationales for Jon's recent
desktop a11y work was so that a user can come up to a system in an
unknown state (logged in or logged out) and take a known set of
actions to make that system accessible to that user.

So to answer the question to the best of my ability (and Jon or Brian
would be better to answer), 1) there is some inprogress code that
Brian Cameron wrote 2) that code targeted GDM when it was written,
isn't slated for GDM now, and instead needs to get reworked to go into
gnome-settings-daemon

Hope that helps,
Ray