Re: Code freeze break request

On Fri, 2008-03-07 at 12:33 +0100, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> 2 - Don't automount gphoto:// volumes. This is problematic,
>     as when they are mounted other apps can't access the device.
>     Longterm they should ideally use gio to access the files so
>     that everyone can share the connection and apps don't need
>     gphoto specific code. However, atm the automount is causing
>     problem by locking out apps using libgphoto directly.

I'm fundamentally against bending over for broken apps. At the very
least please make a note in the release notes / NEWS / whatever that
states that this thing is only something for 2.22 and it's going to
change for 2.24. Also want to note that, by then, apps then either need
to start using gio or do something else like making sure they can access
the USB device.

Also, a much nicer solution than this hammer is to introduce simple exec
wrapper for each app that unmounts the gphoto2 mount using gvfs-mount.

All in all I'd much rather punt this to the distros.

     David