Re: Fix java-gnome version

On Fri, 2008-02-29 at 12:07 +0100, Vincent Untz wrote:
> The reason I'm worried is that I don't know if API will be broken between
> 4.0.x and 4.2.x.

Oh, I imagine it will; that's the whole point: it's scheduled as an API
break. It's been part of the plan since 2006, to allow us to clean up
anything that needs cleaning up. We have, after all come a long way, and
one is bound to make mistakes along the way.

As for _when_ that release will occur, who knows? This year? Next? I'm
in no rush. And while it is entirely possible that we won't even need to
do so, we put it on the schedule and let everyone know about it so that
there would be no surprises when the time comes.

Once we do that one, I can't imagine what would possibly ever result in
another API break after that. Perhaps something in "GTK 3", but I doubt
it given the way that that is leaning. So we'll probably be on 4.2.x for
a long long time once we call it.

As a technical matter, I should probably note that Java ABI stability is
somewhat less technically demanding than C ABI stability, but that's a
discussion for another day.

Really, though, none of this speculation about the future release
numbering is really that relevant. The problem is that the release team
is listing the wrong version of the Java bindings for GNOME. That's
really not very supportive of you, and doesn't make GNOME look very
good. I'd appreciate it if we could get on with this and fix it as Olav
already was prepared to execute on.

AfC
Singapore

--
Andrew Frederick Cowie

Operational Dynamics is an operations and engineering consultancy
focusing on IT strategy, organizational architecture, systems
review, and effective procedures for change management. We actively
carry out research and development in these areas on behalf of our
clients, and enable successful use of open source in their mission
critical enterprises, worldwide.

http://www.operationaldynamics.com/

Sydney   New York   Toronto   London