Re: Making the next gnome-applets depend on libgweather.
- From: "Matthias Clasen" <matthias clasen gmail com>
- To: "Owen Taylor" <otaylor redhat com>
- Cc: "desktop-devel-list gnome org" <desktop-devel-list gnome org>, release-team gnome org, Callum McKenzie <callum spooky-possum org>, gnome-doc-list gnome org, gnome-i18n gnome org
- Subject: Re: Making the next gnome-applets depend on libgweather.
- Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 08:56:31 -0500
2008/1/14 Owen Taylor <otaylor redhat com>:
> > Comments, criticisms?
> I'm slightly concerned by this ... libgweather does something pretty
> interesting (to a small set of consumers) but the API is no way ready
> for any sort of freezing. It has serious namespace and memory management
> issues, among other things.
> I don't think there is any proposal here to make libgweather part of the
> platform, but a) is there clear messaging about the API status? b) how
> would a transition to an incompatible new version be handled?
Pretty much like for any other instable api, I think.
Users will have to check for a version they support and will have to be ported.
Do you want us to do the -DI_SWEAR_I_KNOW_LIBGWEATHER_IS_UNSTABLE dance ?
That is easy enough, if you think it helps.
] [Thread Prev