What can we do with Ekiga 3.00 ?

Hello to all,

Ekiga 3.00 is nearing a release, but we have a bad feeling about it.
Generally speaking, Ekiga 3.00 is a rewrite of Ekiga 2.00, with more
features, a better ui, and a different approach.

It is still heavily based on OPAL.

Ekiga itself is ready to be released, except the fact that I have to
work on the manual tomorrow. OPAL, however, is not quite there yet.
There are still a few deadlocks to debug, problems with the jitter
buffer using some codecs and probably some stability bugs to fix.

We now have three options :
1) release Ekiga 3.00 in time for GNOME, but we fear this release looks
unfinished in terms of stability to our users. Sure, it is certainly
more stable and better than much software, but it is probably not as
good as Ekiga 2.00

2) release Ekiga 3.00 for the next GNOME, in march 2009. However, it is
too far, we feel that 2 months of work after the release of GNOME is the
maximum we can wait.

3) release Ekiga 3.00 during a minor upgrade of GNOME. In that case,
could it be part of the release notes even though it would be
distributed later ?

I also know that some people would like to see empathy replacing ekiga
at some point (even though they do not have the same purpose and
capabilities at all).

What are the options ? What do you suggest ?

--
 _     Damien Sandras
(o-