Re: GDM and GNOME 2.24.

Le mercredi 13 août 2008 à 12:10 -0400, Matthias Clasen a écrit :

> >> Sorry, forgot to respond to this earlier.
> >
> > I might regret this but I have the feeling something is wrong here.
> >
> > First, I still don't understand why John is not responding to those
> > issues posted on gdm list. It shouldn't be your role to respond for him.
>
> I don't know what you are talking about here. I am not responding for Jon,
> I am responding for myself.

I was refering to the initial mail Sebastien sent, Andre asked again on
gdm-list and still no response. But I guess I misread your answser.
Sorry.

> >> So, going off Sebastiens list of issues,

> >> I am not sure that is true, actually.
> >>
> >> The new gdm uses the same config file location and format, and the
> >> same keys for autologin as the old gdm. I don't see offhand why the
> >> new gdm would not just pick up the options from the old gdm, but I
> >> have to admit that I haven't tested this. If it doesn't work, it
> >> should be an easy fix.
> >
> > I checked wiki and some sections of the configuration file are not
> > handled :
> > -[security] : I'm not sure if it is supposed to be handled by
> > ConsoleKit/PolicyKit but there is no explanation how to handle the same
> > result as with the old gdm
> > -[gui] seems to be ignored / replaced by gconf (no migration help,
> > except for documentation key
> > -[greeter] is ignored
> > -[server] seems to be ignored (since it was used for multi head)
> > -[customcommand] is ignored.
>
> Yes, the new gdm has less configuration options than the old one.
> That is a good thing, don't you think ?

Well, if those configuration were added, there was a reason, don't you
think ? ;)

> > autologin is just one aspect of configuration. I've listed others above,
> > in the section about configuration files.
>
> What you seem to be totally missing is the question 'what things are
> actually useful to configure in a display manager'.

I'm not sure anybody has the answer to that, specially because there is
a lot of different usage of a display manager. Old gdm was a good
approximation, despite its configuration. I'm not sure new gdm fits the
same area.

> > Sorry if this mail sounds harsh, but I really think we are seeing
> > regressions in gdm (and gnome-session is starting to show the exact same
> > "coup d'etat" or "fait accompli" pattern) being treated as "not
> > important" because there is some sort of agenda (I'm not sure if it is
> > "fast user switching") being pushed with small consideration to people
> > (or even module co-maintainers) input and fixing those regressions
> > doesn't seem to fit in this agenda. I hope to be prove wrong on this.
>
> The 'fait accompli' impression can be helped by participating in
> fixing the regressions,
> instead of bitching about them. You don't have to make this an
> us-vs-them scenario and fling around conspiracy theories about hidden
> agendas. I have to admit that I find this attitude a bit
> disappointing.

Well, since there is only 24 hours in a day and they are already taken
for me, I can't contribute for gdm ; you are suggesting I should just
not raise those issues, because I don't have enough time ?

I'm sorry if it sounds like a conspiracy theory but this is exactly the
feeling I get when I see what has happened in gdm and what is appearing
in gnome-session. I'm not the only one concerned with those issues, but
it seems I'm the first one who is raising them publicly..

--
Frederic Crozat <fcrozat mandriva com>
Mandriva