Re: GMAE release suites

On Wed, 2007-05-02 at 18:09 +0200, Vincent Untz wrote:
> This is really something that I think we should do. The main issue here
> is manpower, I guess. We'll probably need someone working on GMAE to
> push for this.
>
> Some more comments:
>
>  + we might want to rename the GNOME Developer Platform to GNOME Desktop
>    Developer Platform?

That doesn't seem worth the bother. The name would cause extra confusion
about what is the Desktop and what is the Platform.

>  + sounds interesting to also have a GMAE Bindings suite (with the right
>    configure flags for gtkmm, eg)
>
>  + someone from GMAE will need to figure out the external dependencies

No problem.

>  + GNOME Mobile sounds better, indeed
>
>  + I agree on the "extra platform", or whatever it could be called.
>    Maybe "Platform lab" or something like this...

We can figure that out. Let's get the Mobile Platform in place first.

>  + e-d-s in GMAE environment is usually the OpenedHand e-d-s. We'd need
>    a tarball to include it.

It would of course be nicer to just have this as the default in upstream
e-d-s, or at least a configure option. I believe that jhbuild can apply
patches. We'd just have to keep the patch up-to-date.

If we use GConf, we should also at least point people to the D-Bus
version of GConf that's used by Maemo.

>  + someone will need to define the rules for module inclusion in the
>    Mobile suites. The rules that we have for the various desktop suites
>    are probably a good basis.

For the Mobile Platform, we can just use the existing Platform rules.

>  + I'm not sure that, in the long term, it's a good idea to keep GNOME
>    Mobile and GNOME Desktop schedules in sync. Is it useful? 6 months
>    might be short without any real need for software that will be
>    shipped on specific hardware. I don't know. Just raising the point.
>    On the other hand, this is important for translations.

I see no reason not to try to be in sync, particularly when we are
mostly just reusing stuff that is already on the GNOME schedule. We
should expect several embedded projects to want the latest stable stuff
at various times.

>  + someone will need to figure out the scratchbox/jhbuild integration
>    and make it easy for the release team to use it.
>
>  + I like the Poky idea, although we'll probably need to have a specific
>    server to build the packages. Or leave it to Matthew.

Yes, as I mentioned, GMAE people can take care of these.

>  + last but not least: is the current release team the best candidate to
>    handle this? Most people in the release team only have a desktop
>    background, and not a mobile background. Recruiting people from GMAE
>    could help; another solution would be to have a mobile release team.

I don't think any special expertise is required, given that you'll have
people helping you. Let's see how it works out.

--
Murray Cumming
murrayc murrayc com