Re: External Deps: update pwlib and opal version

Please Cc me on every reply. Since I am not a RT member, I am not
permitted to subscribe to this list -- and thus limited to the archive,
including for this reply.

On Thu, 2007-06-07 at 09:37 +0200, Damien Sandras wrote:
> Le mercredi 06 juin 2007  20:05 -0600, Elijah Newren a crit :

Apart from the original issue (updating external dep versions), which
has been covered by Elijah already, there is another issue lurking here.

> > > I plan to provide up to date tarballs of OPAL and PWLIB for the stable
> > > branch of Ekiga (I am actually doing it).

This is good. I'm glad my efforts to negotiate will all the involved
parties worked out. Thanks, again.

> > > However, the unstable branch of Ekiga (ie SVN Trunk) depends on the
> > > unstable branch of PWLIB and OPAL (ie CVS HEAD) for which there are
> > > rarely tarballs.

This, however, is bad.

AFAIK, if there are no unstable releases during the development period,
the version can not be updated to a new stable version for the next
GNOME release, either.

No unstable releases means no smoketesting. GARNOME depends on tarball
releases, as do the official jhbuild modulesets. And I doubt much
distros would go down the ripping-from-SVN path... This is a recurring
topic, and we even have seen already approved, newly proposed tarballs
being dropped off the list, just because they failed to roll a tarball.

> > > I will do what you will suggest.
> >
> > Is there any way you can fix your dependencies to be e.g., opal >=
> > OPAL_REQUIRED rather than opal == OPAL_REQUIRED?  That would be the
> > optimal fix.
>
> I can do that, but OPAL and PWLIB's API changes between different major
> versions.
>
> So trying to compile Ekiga 2.0.x against CVS HEAD of OPAL and PWLIB
> won't work and compiling Ekiga SVN against lower versions of OPAL and
> PWLIB is not a good idea either, because in that case, people complain
> of bugs that are in the libs and not in Ekia.
>
> > Alternatively, if you could get unstable opal and pwlib tarballs
> > uploaded and hopefully rolled more often (whenever ekiga needs
> > something newer), that would at least allow us a path forward using
> > ekiga trunk, though the '>=' thing would be a far better solution.
>
> I will ask on the Ekiga mailing list if somebody can do it to help.
>
> (The problem is not my unwilling to upload those tarballs, but it
> consumes time, and I don't have much spare time anymore so I prefer
> devoting it to coding.)

If you can find someone on your list, who can roll unstable Ekiga, opal
and pwlib tarballs, that would be great. In case they don't have a
gnome.org shell account, I am positive we will find volunteers to upload
the tarballs to f.g.o. I know I would -- feel free to ping me.

Even in case you don't find one to do these unstable tarballs, we most
likely can handle this, too. Since I am not a RT member, I won't offer
this, however, here is an IRC quote:

  <vuntz> and tell that if they need help to do tarballs, we can
probably find someone to do them