Re: GTKmm for desktop

On 1/13/07, Dodji Seketeli <dodji gnome org> wrote:
Hello Elijah, release-team,

I understand that since no application using gtkmm has actually been
proposed for inclusion into the GNOME desktop suite, nothing has yet
been formally stated for that binding.

However, I would like to know if using gtkmm would be a blocker for an
application willing to be accepted into the GNOME desktop suite. I am
talking about the future here, since I think it is what is really
important for people willing to develop applications today.

I am asking that knowing that gtkmm has been part of the official
binding suite for a long time now, has always complied with the
API/ABI compatibility schemes of that suite, has always been actively
maintained, has a lot of client applications, and  is shipped by most
of the major GNU/Linux distributions out there.

I do not know the answer to that; it's going to need to be done by the
general consensus of the community (or as near to it as we can come).
For what it's worth, I'm strongly in favor of it.  But it'll need to
have someone pushing it in particular in terms of concrete
applications (e.g. Glom; of course, maybe it would happen through
first getting something like Nemiver into the development tools
suite).