Re: How to propose a module for inclusion?

Hey,

First, let me tell you I love you. Now, some comments :-)

Le lundi 19 février 2007, à 03:10, Andre Klapper a écrit :
[...]

> i've also added additional "should" and "must" criteria that i'd like to
> see accepted (explicitly announcing them here before somebody accuses me
> of slipping them in ;-):
>       * "Early proposing also improves the chance to already have a good
>         number of string and doc translations when the final module
>         decisions take place. If no documentation exists, maintainers
>         should make an effort to work with members of the Gnome
>         Documentation Project (gnome-doc list) to make docs happen."
>       * \Quality: "The developers care about bug reports in
>         bugzilla.gnome.org."
>       * \I18n: "POTFILES.in and POTFILES.skip are updated regularly."

This one is hard, since there are always issues, even with the current
modules.

>       * \Documentation: "Documentation of new modules must use
>         gnome-doc-utils so it can be easily translated."

I don't want to quote the whole text, so let's put my points here:

 + we should mention that maintainers should be subscribed to
   devel-announce-list and aware of the schedule
   (linking to http://live.gnome.org/MaintainersCorner shouldn't harm)
 + dependencies of proposed modules should be clearly highlighted in the
   proposal mail
 + the part about licenses is not clear. What's a free or open license?
   (I guess that it was written this way in the GEP)
   We should probably mention something like "in case of doubt about the
   module license, send a mail to ..." where ... could be release-team
   or d-d-l
 + would be great to mention that the app should be added to the jhbuild
   moduleset

Also, while what's written here is true for all module proposals, the
goal of the document is about proposing modules to the
desktop/admin/devtools sets. Bindings and platform have additional
rules, see
http://live.gnome.org/ReleasePlanning/ModuleRequirements

Note that what you wrote under Criteria could live in the module
requirements pages. Don't know what's best.

Thanks for working on this!