Re: Python < 2.5 anyone?

On Mon, Dec 24, 2007 at 02:46:15PM +0100, Olav Vitters wrote:
> I've been changing convert-to-tarballs.py and realised that it now
> requires Python 2.5. Does anyone have 2.4? I can maybe support that (I'd
> rather not though).
>
> Changes I've made up to now:
>  * General cleanup of the Python code
>  * Sort of handle the gtksourceview-1.0 case
>  * Allow to call convert-to-tarballs.py from another directory
>  * Waf support (meaning, the <waf> XML bits)
>  * The following works on a 'proper' setup: convert-to-tarballs.py -v 2.11.91
>    (the location of the gnome-2.22.modules + tarball location)
>  * Determine latest tarball versions on download.gnome.org using sftp.
>    This to avoid mirror lag
>    Notes:
>     - Still downloads using http
>     - Requires: python-paramiko package, ssh-agent setup, configured
>       username for master.gnome.org in ~/.ssh/config and
>       master.gnome.org should appear in ~/.ssh/known_hosts
>     - Automatically falls back to http if sftp support is not working
>       (not in all cases)
>     - Need to add a connection cache as logging in is slow
>  * Handle http redirects a bit better (download.gnome.org), this
>    avoids ~ 50 secs of redirects (could be further improved)
 * Now with a connection cache. SFTP using only Python is still really
   slow though. It adds ~2 min to the whole process.
 * Switched to curl instead of wget. This for the 1-line progress bar.
   Further, made curl change the local tarball timestamp to that of the
   server. Wget could do this as well, this is just a preparation for
   when someone wants to check when a tarball was released (either in
   the script or a ls -lt in the tarball directory).

The conversion at this time takes ~11min (with a clean tarball
directory). I'll now try to add more error checking to the script
(to avoid too new tarball versions being released accidentally). The
script might already do this though.

Oh, for some reason when using 'sftp', the script isn't doesn't stop
when expected. E.g. coding error, sys.exit(1), ctrl-c. It only occurs
after the 'sftp' connection is closed. No idea why this is and I can't
figure out what paramiko (module implementing sftp) is doing to cause
this.

--
Regards,
Olav