Re: PROPOSAL: Upgrading every RHEL server to RHEL5 on Sun April 1st

Jeff Waugh wrote:
<quote who="Olav Vitters">

I propose to upgrade every RHEL server from RHEL3/4 to RHEL5 on Sunday
April 1 2007. Very likely things will break, that is why I NEED additional
sysadmins to standby.

So, to start with: Thanks very much again for proposing this, and devising a
step by step process to complete it.

I am concerned, however, that while this process gets us from A to B (RHELx
to RHEL5), it doesn't achieve anything regarding our problematic process and
management issues.

An untested, long slog to upgrade a whole bunch of stuff (even if it's not
"everything") is going to be *hard*. You've laid out a good process based on
the functional dependencies, but we don't even have an installation standard
(which Matthew asked about) at this point, a few days before we start.

I would feel more comfortable taking on one machine to upgrade, testing the
services locally beforehand, then doing a very fast reinstall/reconfigure
process to bring it back up. In this case, label is the simplest and best
choice. Once it is running RHEL5, we can use virtualisation to assist with
the rest of the process.

The advantage to taking this more slowly is that we can institute standards,
testing and documentation along the way, things that will MASSIVELY improve
our efficiency and service delivery in the future.

I'm committed to participating in the process, but I'd really like to make
sure it's a process that is safe, sane, *and* can put us on a better course
to the one we've been on for some time.

If everyone decides we should run with Olav's process as-is, straight away,
then I will commit to a second migration process, focusing on establishing
what I've described above.

FWIW, I'm for running with Olav's process now, as he's evidently put a lot of thought into it and is willing to follow it through - I'll gladly do what I can to help ensure it stays on track whilst it's going on and follow up/track any loose ends that come out of it. We'll end up better off for it, for the sake of a couple of days of teamwork on IRC.

But I do also see what you mean about taking the slow approach for better testing and documentation procedures etc. I just feel that, at this stage, getting everybody on the team together on IRC for a day or two is going to be hard enough - if the process was any more involved and ended up taking up several weekends then less people on the team will be able to commit the extra time required.

So, IMHO, let's get our RHEL3/4 platforms up to RHEL5 now as we have the momentum, the opportunity and a plan, then we'll have plenty of time to prepare a more involved/improved upgrade process (maybe including virtualisation or whatever etc) which we can discuss and apply when it's time to do this for RHEL6, 7 and 8 :)

Cheers,

--
Ross