Re: GNOME Development suite (was: Re: Glade 3.0 stable branched)

Naba Kumar wrote:
Hi guys, [starting a new thread]
[...]
The website is kind of outdated, but I believe we can revive it and make
some real effort this time. A mailing list was also setup for the group
called gnome-devtools(@)gnome.org. I guess it is still used by some
people (e.g. devhelp).

So, in addition to coming up with plans, release system and other
necessary stuffs for meta distribution, I would also like to see
collaborations among the development tools in terms of integration and
consistency.

Yes ! this is a great start - I think that alot of the time we will
bring things up on our own private mailing lists and irc channels
when it might concern the whole developer suite - in these cases we
should all start to CC the gnome-devtools ML (its alot easier than
being subscribed to each ML for each component).

Michael R. Head wrote:
> I just added my own comments there re: "Eclipsifying GNOME" as a broad
> target for a development suite. My argument is that if it's really easy
> to checkout, hack, and submit patches to any GNOME module, then there
> would be an increase in the numbers of fresh developers.

Very good point - maybe someone could work on a garnome/jhbuild type of
plugin for Anjuta to that end ?

Now - I'm sure that there are all kinds of great ideas about developer
tool integration etc - lets bring them up on the gnome-devtools ML !

But while we're here - lets not lose sight of an original initiative
that is going to hold us all together in the future... a release schedule.

Who can tell us simple minded module maintainers what they need us
to do in order to participate in an initial kick-start release cycle
of the gnome developer tools suite ?

Maybe we need to setup a page that looks more like
http://live.gnome.org/TwoPointFifteen/Desktop ?

Cheers,
                         -Tristan