Re: GDM API Change Request

Elijah/Federico:

I have a question.  I understand that GDM is not a part of the Platform
so isn't officially bound by the API freeze rules.  However, GDM is one
of a handful of modules that exposes API via its configuration files
that would cause GNOME users a big headache if the API were to break.

Therefore, it would seem to make sense for GDM to follow the ABI freeze
rules.  Would it make sense to make GDM a part of the Platform?  If so,
how would I go about proposing that this module be added to the Platform? I realize this may not make sense since the Platform is
really designed as a "developer platform" with its API intended for
use by developers whereas GDM's API is configuration files that are
modified by users/non-developers/sysadmin/theme designers.  Perhaps
it would make sense if certain modules like GDM could be flagged as
being a part of the ABI-freeze process, but not part of the "platform"?

Other modules that implement various FreeDesktop specification that
shouldn't break might also be the sort of API that would make sense
to follow ABI freeze rules if anybody decides to change/modify/extend
them.

It certainly makes me more comfortable to have the release team look
over API change requests for GDM when they happen late in the release
cycle.  However, I understand if this is beyond the scope of the
release team.  If your response is that it is just up to me, as the
maintainer, to make sure API is managed in a sane way for GDM, then
I will understand.  I was just wondering.

Brian

To avoid looking like a
complete idiot due to my API neurosis, I'll politely ask that you do
update the GDM docs 'cause vendors always tweak the GDM configuration
heavily, and they should know about this new option ;)

Look at it this way: You were actually able to provide useful feedback
on the patch itself, whereas all I could do was point out certain
rules of the release process.  Your feedback was much more useful.