Re: GNOME and GStreamer

On 1/12/06, Jeff Waugh <jdub perkypants org> wrote:
> <quote who="Elijah Newren">
>
> > I had thought the same until I noticed that jhbuild STILL builds gstreamer
> > 0.8.  Since we base all our releases on that, all tarball releases have
> > shipped and therefore tested 0.8.  Thus, 0.10 appears to have no testing
> > from the broader community, assuming this quick-and-dirty approximation
> > can be applied broadly.
>
> However, 0.10 has been in Ubuntu's development branch for a while now, so it
> has been getting a fair chunk of testing from Ubuntu developers and bleeding
> edge users. I'm fully behind it.

Oh cool; that helps a lot.  I hadn't thought to check on this before
for some reason, but since you brought it up I decided to also
checkout rawhide (and opensuse[1]).  It turns out that Fedora is
currently shipping both versions of gstreamer, but the old version's
package name is gstreamer08 while the new is plain gstreamer, meaning
that it must be their clear plan forward as well.  Looks like I was
way off in assuming there hadn't been much testing; that makes me
happy.  :-)

Shall we proceed with quickly rolling things forward to 0.10 then?

Cheers,
Elijah

[1] Looks like opensuse is using Gnome 2.12, though, so they're of no
use here.  At least, that's what this url leads me to believe:
http://ftp.opensuse.org/pub/opensuse/distribution/SL-OSS-factory/inst-source/suse/src/