Re: GNOME and GStreamer

On 1/12/06, Vincent Untz <vuntz gnome org> wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
>
> Thanks for sending this.

Yes, very much.  We probably should have brought this up sooner, but
it's nice to have it covered now.

> On Thu, January 12, 2006 14:08, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:
> > The recommendation from the GStreamer team is to go ahead and ship with
> > 0.10 as the default - or in some cases, only - choice, and not ship
> > GStreamer 0.8 as part of the tarballs.
>
> So, I always thought we were going to release 2.14 with GStreamer 0.10.
> Does anyone maintaining some module using GStreamer have an objection?
> Or is this just some bureaucracy? :-)

I had thought the same until I noticed that jhbuild STILL builds
gstreamer 0.8.  Since we base all our releases on that, all tarball
releases have shipped and therefore tested 0.8.  Thus, 0.10 appears to
have no testing from the broader community, assuming this
quick-and-dirty approximation can be applied broadly.  Of course, that
may be a big 'if', I know, but it was sufficient to worry Kjartan and
I quite a bit when we noticed it recently; Kjartan was nice enough to
take all the work of contacting people.

Thomas' email puts me a lot more at ease.  I'm inclined to go with it
based on the GStreamer teams recommendations, but I would really like
to hear back from more module authors as well.  Either way, this is
something we need to decide on and move forward with rather quickly;
if things aren't switched over before tarballs are released this
weekend then we'd have to break feature freeze to get it in.  And
breaking feature freeze this late for something this big doesn't look
good to me.