Re: GNOME and GStreamer

On Thu, 2006-01-12 at 17:58 +0100, Ronald S. Bultje wrote:
> Hi Vincent,
>
> On Thu, 12 Jan 2006, Vincent Untz wrote:
> > Yes, we are keeping an eye on regressions. What are the current
> > regressions? The ones I have heard of are:
> >
> >  + no DVD support
> >    => we're not advertising this
> >  + no subtitles support in totem
> >    => is this hard to fix?
> >  + some plugins not ported
> >    => I thought this is only a problem for some "non-free" plugins
> >
> > Are there some other regressions? Or is one of those 3 items a blocker?
>
> I can obfuscate any regression like this, but let's not. What is your
> definition of non-free? Does that mean blocked by patents valid only in
> the US under the DMCA? Or does that mean non-(L)GPL? Or non-free with
> free being as defined by the FSF?

Let's not reopen this discussion, the thread is supposed to be
productive.  For the purpose of this topic, in the past it was
interpreted as "stuff GNOME can ship as source".

Given that GNOME ships from the US, it includes stuff covered by patents
- which is why something even as simple as spring-loaded folders is not
in GNOME.

While we all know other formats exist, GNOME's official stand point only
deals with non-patented formats.

You may call it tree hugging, others feel it is simply a logical
conclusion to draw if you care about free software/open source :)

> Now, back on topic, I'll do an analysis of features and regressions in
> modules that I am interested in (gnome-media, totem, sound-juicer) either
> this weekend or next week. After that, I'll come up with a well-backed
> personal opinion.

I guess the only pressing matter atm is "what should Tim do with his
0.10 patches for gnome-media".  Other bits are already commited, or
about to be commited.

Personally, I feel that since there is no big difference between
gnome-media on the 2-12 branch and on HEAD, GNOME can always release a
2.12 iteration if it is decided to stick with GStreamer 0.8, and that
would allow Tim to commit his work to HEAD.  What do you think ?

>  For now, I'm tired, busy, lazy and sceptical because I
> have an exam at 1:00PM.

Good luck on the exams !

Thomas

Two wrongs don't make a right