Re: Decisions you didn't intend to make [Was: Minutes of the meeting (2006-07-31)]

<quote who="Elijah Newren">

> I thought gtk#-in-the-desktop had been discussed about as much as any
> issue ever had (it's been out there for years, after all, and the recent
> threads weren't exactly tiny).

The recent threads were viciously conflated around a whole stack of issues,
and the more general issue of Gtk# in the Desktop suite did not get a useful
hearing *on its own* in that context alone, particularly since little work
was done to get beyond-the-developer-community stakeholder input into this
important issue.

> So I don't see how insufficient-discussion is a measure that makes it
> inappropriate for the release-team to decide.

Firstly, it was insufficient discussion about a very particular issue (the
discussion was viciously conflated around a whole set of issues, and this
one wasn't discussed independently). Secondly, shipping a non-controversial
improvement to a menu editor is a *remarkably* different situation to the
one we are currently in. I would have hoped that would be self-evident. Why
do we have to blunder through irrelevant analogies?

> But if there exists a module that has too high of an impact for the
> release-team to decide, then where is the line drawn?

At no point did I suggest that it was inappropriate for the release team to
make a decision. I *did* suggest on numerous occasions that for a number of
clearly stated reasons, it was inappropriate for the release team to make a
decision about this issue, at this time.

Please do not argue generalities when the context of the discussion is
already quite clear.

- Jeff

             "jwz? no way man, he's my idle" - James Wilkinson