Re: copyright violation in gucharmap

Roozbeh,

Are you sure that gucharmap-1.4.3 contains the copyright
violation?!  Did you care to check?  The offending commit was
made last week, while gucharmap-1.4.3 has been released months
ago.

I reverted back your commit and added back in the copyright line.
I don't give into details of how the line was left out, enough to
say that my translation has been reviewed by both you and Meelad
several times on the Persian GNOME translation list.

Anyway, feel free to contact me, should you have any further
problems, since I'm comaintaining gucharmap now.

Frustrated behdad

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005, Roozbeh Pournader wrote:

> Dear Noah,
>
> I just found that version 1.4.3 of gucharmap contains a copyright
> violation. Behdad Esfahbod, while committing a non-reviewed Persian
> translation to gucharmap, has mistakenly removed a copyright notice from
> a work partially copyrighted by the company I work for, Sharif FarsiWeb,
> Inc.
>
> The removal is violating Section 2 of the GPL license, under which
> gucharmap is released. In forming a work based on the previous
> translation, modifiers are required to also meet Section 1 of GPL, which
> requires the copyright notice to be published on the re-published work.
>
> The diff can be seen at the following address:
>
> http://cvs.gnome.org/viewcvs/gucharmap/po/fa.po?r1=1.9&r2=1.10
>
> We don't commit non-reviewed translations to GNOME anymore (well, except
> in the days when I was the only active translator), but I just committed
> a partially-reviewed Persian translation to replace the copyright-
> violating code.
>
> I would appreciate it very much if you would re-release a new version of
> gucharmap with the new translation (that I checked in) included *at the
> earliest opportunity* and ask the responsible people to remove the
> previous version from the GNOME FTP site.
>
> Best Regards,
> Roozbeh Pournader

--behdad
http://behdad.org/