Re: [ANNOUNCE] GARNOME 2.13.2

On Wed, 2005-11-23 at 19:01 +0100, Vincent Untz wrote:
> On mer, 2005-11-23 at 08:12 -0500, Joseph E. Sacco, PhD wrote:
> > We generally do provide early access "garballs"[GAR tar balls] on a
> > regular basis.
> >
> > We have been transitioning our site to gnome.org and are not quite
> > there. Once *all* of the GARNOME maintainers have access to our stuff on
> > gnome.org, pre-release versions will be offered.
> >
> > For now, a pre-release version can be pulled down at any time from our
> > CVS repository on gnome.org.
>
> Well, what I'd like to see is an "official" pre-release of GARNOME so we
> can have a lot of smoketesting before a GNOME release. Requiring our
> users to get stuff from cvs is not so friendly. Let's take an example:
>
> December 12: GNOME 2.13.3 tarballs due
> December 13: GARNOME 2.13.3 preview release available
>              people can test it (or can use the jhbuild modulesets made
>              by the release team to smoketest the release) and report
>              problems (if any)
> December 14: GNOME 2.13.3 is out
>              GARNOME 2.13.3 is out a few minutes later
>
> I don't know how much work this would mean for GARNOME people, but I
> would think it's more a matter of synchronizing what we're doing right
> now than anything else.

Hi, Vincent.

This sounds like a really good idea. I agree that the more testers we
can get to test the release before the official release the better.

The time line you suggest seems totally doable. We actually already do
test releases for the maintainers to test things out before we do an
actual release, so renaming it as a pre-release and releasing it to the
ftp servers isn't a hard task at all. :)

I also agree that forcing people to grab stuff from CVS detracts from
the whole reason why Jeff, created GARNOME (so people who aren't
comfortable with CVS can test run releases).

So we'll shoot for a 2.13.3-pre1 on Dec. 13 (unless the date
changes). :)

Bob

--
Bob Kashani