Re: When to use GLib/glib or GObject/gobject

On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 12:26 PM, John Stowers
<john stowers lists gmail com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've recently been porting some of my software to PyGObject + g-i and
> was wondering;
>
> 1) Is it recommended to use the g-i bindings for the GObject namespace?
> (i.e. based on the demos GObject.timeout_add seem to work fine but the
> pygi-convert script still uses import gobject)
>
> 2) Is it recommended to use the g-i bindings for the glib namespace?
> My (threaded) application [1] needed glib.threads_init() to be called,
> inorder to work as before, and AFAIK there is no equivalent to this
> special function in g-i.

I believe that the idea is to use GObject and GLib, because we still
want gobject and glib to installable and useable for applications
expecting to use the static bindings. But there are some
non-compatible changes we want to make for introspection users. These
changes would be changed in GObject and GLib, but not gobject and glib
(for compatibility).

This is the idea, but last I heard there were a few problems with
using GLib since some functions are not annotated properly. I would
suggest you try and use GObject and GLib and report bugs for anything
that doesn't work correctly.

> p.s. I just sent some patches to the list, I can't commit any myself at
> the moment

Patches will get lost on the mailing list. Please submit them as one
patch on one bug, or several patches on several bugs. Thanks.