Re: [pygtk] ANNOUNCE: PyGTK All-in-one Installer 2.22.6

On Wed, 2011-01-19 at 23:02 +0100, Tim Lebedkov wrote:
> Hello Dieter,
>
> I am really sorry. I have formulated my question so that you have
> completely misunderstood it.
> I hope that at least your explanations could be useful for somebody else.
>
> Let me explain my concerns in detail. In Npackd (package manager) I
> download packages from different
> locations like http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/binaries/win32/pygobject/2.26/pygobject-2.26.0-1.win32-py2.7.msi
> To check that the download was OK, I compute the SHA1 checksum of the file.
> For this to work a file placed at a specific URL should never be changed.
>
> So here is my plea: don't overwrite files, but put new installers
> under a different URL and don't delete old installers.
> Examples:
> http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/binaries/win32/pygobject/2.26/pygobject-2.26.0-1.win32-py2.7.msi
> http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/binaries/win32/pygobject/2.26/pygobject-2.26.0-2.win32-py2.7.msi
> http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/binaries/win32/pygobject/2.26/pygobject-2.26.0-3.win32-py2.7.msi

Old installers are *never* deleted nor silently replaced on the GNOME
site. In fact that was the reason for the creation of the -1 variant; to
fix packaging bugs in windows, no PyGObject code was changed so we didnt
think it necessary to make a new PyGObject release with a version bump.

I'm think Dieter misunderstood your question and offered an incorrect
reply. See below.

> Thank You
>
> --Tim
>
> On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 10:01 PM, Dieter Verfaillie
> <dieterv optionexplicit be> wrote:
> > On 19/01/2011 20:52, Tim Lebedkov wrote:
> >> am I right that files like
> >> http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/binaries/win32/pygobject/2.26/pygobject-2.26.0-1.win32-py2.7.msi
> >> are just overwritten with a newer version of the installer?
> >
> > Correct. We do not (yet?) detect the presence of the separate pycairo,
> > pygobject, pygtk, pyrsvg, pygoocanvas and pygtksourceview2 packages.
> > Neither the .exe nor .msi installers.

We don't detect if these have been *installed* on the users system. But
that is orthogonal to your questions (I think). If the all-in-one
installer requires new versions of the component installers then this
will be noted in the release notes and the README.

As mentioned in the release notes, this installer only contains updated
gtk+ runtime, and updated glade installers. PyG* remain unchanged so no
installers were ever silently replaced on the GNOME servers.

So in conclusion, if the all-in-one installer requires newer component
installer for any other PyG* packages, those component installers will
be uploaded to the GNOME servers with a new filename, and the README and
release notes of the all-in-one installer will make this clear.

Hope that clears things up.

John