Re: pygobject matching glib version numbers

On 08/11/2010 06:04 AM, John Stowers wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-08-11 at 11:44 +0200, Simon van der Linden wrote:

>>> I think that's something we should aim for. I also consider g-i to be
>>> a logical part of GLib even if it hasn't been merged yet.
>>
>> I'm neither in favor nor against this change. I think it will not bring
>> anything.
>
> I have lost track of the number of times I have had to explain the
> versions of Gtk, PyGtk, Glib and PyGObject to people trying to get stuff
> to work on windows, and every time noted that the version mismatches
> were unhelpful, confusing and often resulted in them trying
> build/runtime combinations that did not work.

I'm not on most of the cc:d lists, so this might bounce.

I have this exact problem.  I try a bunch of build/runtime combinations
until I find one that works.

Even if the version number scheme doesn't change so that things match,
there should at least be a table somewhere that tells you which version
of the bindings goes with which version of the bound library.

If such a thing already exists for PyGtk and PyGObject, I'd love to know
where it is.

/will