Re: pygobject matching glib version numbers

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 10:57, Simon van der Linden <svdlinden gnome org> wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-08-11 at 10:07 +0200, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
>> The rationale is that it will help people a bit to know what to expect
>> from a given PyGObject release. He's already numbering his PyGtk
>> releases matching Gtk+ versions.
>
> I wonder whether it makes sense for PyGObject, which is not, to my
> knowledge, a set of static binding for GLib. We don't exactly ensure
> that all the features available in the matching GLib version is
> available to Python developers, do we?

I think that's something we should aim for. I also consider g-i to be
a logical part of GLib even if it hasn't been merged yet.

It's true PyGObject doesn't aim to be a set of static bindings in the
same way that PyGtk does, but then GLib has lots of infrastructure
stuff that doesn't make sense to expose to Python as-is.

In summary, while PyGObject won't try to wrap every bit of GLib, it
should aim to expose to Python all the functionality that makes sense,
for each version.

Regards,

Tomeu