Re: [gnome-pro] Proposal for an official GNOME Support page

Lionel:

Thanks for your feedback. I believe that your idea is brilliant and I
would love to see such a website.

But I see some differences with the current proposal.

Our initial idea (the proposal you can read on the wiki) is:
- to help potential customers to find a consultancy
- quite simple to put in place (it is just one webpage to integrate into
gnome.org)

We can do something more simple.  However, I still think it only makes
sense to do this if a reasonable number of existing consultancies want
to participate.  Which ones have we talked to about this, and are they
excited about the idea, have they considered what content they would
like such a webpage to communicate?  What websites will we point to?
Their homepage or do consultancies want to set up a special page for
us to point to?  Do they already have such content?  If each company
has a brochure, for example, perhaps it makes sense to make them
available on this website as well.

Just some ideas to think about.

I see your idea more like:
- a general marketing tool
- a long term project that would need significant effort to be put in
place.

Not necessarily.  If consultancies are excited about creating more of a
presence on the GNOME website, then I think they would provide much of
the content.  I do think it would likely be a more useful promotion
tool if we have a website that looks like a glossy magazine rather than
a Wiki.  I guess consultancies will likely get out of it what they put
into it.

So, if I really like your idea, I believe that a simple page with a list
of company should be the first step. It would also be a good starting
point to test the collaboration between the GNOME companies. It could be
extended in the future.

Why don't you mock-up how you think the page should look and share the
idea with the marketing team.  They may have some comments or ideas
worth considering.

What I like in your idea is that it is really good for both GNOME and
all the GNOME consultancies.

I also admit that "Support" is probably not the best term. What would
you suggest?

Perhaps something more descriptive of what we want to communicate.
Perhaps "GNOME Consultancies", "GNOME Outsourcing", or "GNOME for Hire"?
The folks on the marketing team would be a better group to ask for such
suggestions.

Brian