Re: Planner-list How to do only one thing at a time ?

Hi Chris (and list),

and thanks for the quick reply !

It would be lovely to be able to say of a task "must be completed in a
given day or week or month or..." and then have it not start til the next
day if hours remaining were insufficient.
Agreed
When you define tasks that aren't related / dependent then planner assumes
you wish to complete them in parallel.

If you're not prepared to work 200% on the two tasks and you don't care
which is done first then set your availability to 50% on both.
[...]
Think about what you're asking for - you want planner to decide which to do
first. On what basis would it choose? How would it choose the same
sequencing each time you start it up?

I would expect planner to try doing tasks in parallel but to account for
availability of resources too.

I don't want planner to decide anything, but the task list seem to be
ordered, so I don't understand why it would be wrong to say that if
"task 1" and "task 2" are using the same work resource "Me", and both
are needing 100% of it, then "task 2" can't start until "task 1" is
finished because until then, the resource is not available.

Sounds like you might want to look into a standalone optimizer to do some
task levelling for you, and set the start and end dates.
That is no what I am looking for, ...but you may be right in pointing it
out. My question might have a lot to do with the fact that I am not used
to the "Gantt" approach.

For me if I do two unrelated thing in one day each, they should appear
to be done successively, but I guess in the Gantt view they would appear
over two day in parallel because they don't depend on each other,...
that might take some getting used to. :)

Also, I haven't looked if there are bridges between those optimizers and
planner.
But that could be fun to viewtasks back and forth between planner and,
for example, Getting Things Gnome! There probably would be limitations
though... and I don't even use optimizers  because I tend to be very
good at finding the most time wasting ways to use them !

Planner is a fine and simple planning tool.

Yes it is ! And it is lightweight when the fashion for most alternatives
seems to favor huge things that are either Java or JavaScript based.