Re: Planner-list How to do only one thing at a time ?

Xsld and list;

On Tue, Dec 3, 2019, 09:50 xisd via planner-list <planner-list gnome org> wrote:
Hello fellow planners !

I just started using planner and am trying to plan a simple project that
I will be doing in the next few month.

Dependency between task works great, even if I would like to be able to
tell planner that some task can't be dividedĀ  : if "go buy something"
takes 4h and there is only 1h left today after previous task, I won't be
sleeping in my car halfway, I will start it tomorrow... but I manage by
adjusting durations.

It would be lovely to be able to say of a task "must be completed in a given day or week or month or..." and then have it not start til the next day if hours remaining were insufficient.

As far as I know not possible in planner. But I haven't looked into that kind of thing.

The thing that bothers me is when tasks are not dependent but don't
account for the time I spend doing them...
Let me clarify : I do no need to do "task 1" to start "task 2", but that
doesn't mean that I can do both at the same time.
I would expect "as soon as possible" to take that into account but
planner still shows the 2 tasks being done at the same time.

Am I doing something wrong ?

I tried using resources to prevent that :
Since I will be the only one working on this, I created a work resource
called "Me".
But if I assign "Me" as a resource to "task 1" and "task 2"... each one
use 100% of it, and so 200% of "Me" is used at the same time.
Poor "Me" is not capable of that. :)

Is there a way to manage this particular issue ?

When you define tasks that aren't related / dependent then planner assumes you wish to complete them in parallel.

If you're not prepared to work 200% on the two tasks and you don't care which is done first then set your availability to 50% on both.

Manually setting the date seems messy since it would have to be done
again every time there is a change in the plan.

Better to add a dependency.

Artificially linking tasks that have nothing to do with one another have
a very great cost of readability

Think about what you're asking for - you want planner to decide which to do first. On what basis would it choose? How would it choose the same sequencing each time you start it up?

Sounds like you might want to look into a standalone optimizer to do some task levelling for you, and set the start and end dates.

Thanks for your help

Nice to see some discussion on this list. Planner is a fine and simple planning tool.

Chris