Re: Planner-list having trouble getting planner to run on Solaris (nevada) on x86

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 12:42:52PM +0000, turlough whelan wrote:
>     I downloaded both the gz and bz2 version of the
> planner  application from
> http://live.gnome.org/Planner/Downloads ; to my solaris x86 desktop
> and neither attempt worked; each time the command to uncompress the
> archive complained that it had reached an 'unexpected end of file' (see
> output below)
>
>    Can anyone point out what the error might be?

Do the MD5 checksums of the .gz and .bz2 files match what is listed in
http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/planner/0.14/planner-0.14.3.md5sum
?

Maybe one of the mirrors is giving you truncated files.
The sizes should be:
-rw------- 1 griffon26 users 3685823 2008-04-16 23:01 planner-0.14.3.tar.bz2
-rw------- 1 griffon26 users 4418505 2008-04-16 23:01 planner-0.14.3.tar.gz

>    I am starting to get into Project Management - my first
> project is with 3 pople and we are automating a test for
> liveupgrade.  To manage the project I currently maintain a twiki
> to track my schedule/bugs/scope, etc and would love a tool that could
> grab all this data (especially a gantt chart) and present it in a way
> that aids my decision makking and avoid risk, etc. Is this tool the right place to be looking??

I think so. We try to make sure that Planner is an easy to use project
management application (supporting a.o. Gantt charts) that does not fall
into the trap of trying to provide every single feature and option
anyone has ever imagined, a problem some other project management
applications suffer from. I personally also put fixing bugs before
adding new features, making sure that Planner is a stable and relatively
bug-free application.

> turlough[529]>gunzip planner-0.13.tar.gz
>
> gunzip: planner-0.13.tar.gz: unexpected end of file

I downloaded both files again just now and they match the MD5 sums and
uncompress without problems on my Linux box.

Regards,
Maurice.

--
Maurice van der Pot