Re: [Planner] In need of numbers...

lör 2004-03-20 klockan 10.04 skrev lincoln phipps openmutual net:
> Gary Moffatt wrote:
>
> > Even then WBS numbers can not be sorted neatly by a regular sort - it should
> > be easy to implement a 'hierarchical' sort as opposed to numeric or
> > alphabetical. It truely amazes how popular this scheme is with some clients.
> > (some are rabidly fanatical about WBS) The main benefit of WBS seems to be
> > the ability to label or characterize various hierarchical levels and likewise
> > it would be easy to set a dictionary of WBS titles so they would be available
> > for graphics and reports. (that is '1.2.1' represents 3 levels, each with its
> > own title)
>

> The existing sort order can stay and should always be sorted
> like that. The parts of the WBS can come from the mrp_task_get_position()
> which is reset at each depth back to 1 i.e. 1, then 1.1
> then 1.1.1 etc. The WBS won't need to be used for sorting the
> display.
>
> Probably other ways of doing it for performance reasons but I think
> the WBS can be made by concatenating the mrp_task_get_position() from
> the root down to each task. As each depth has a single position number
> it should be able to be formatted into anything and then the result
> concatenated into a final WBS string which is displayed. Thats why
> I think that not only can a WBS be easily created, it can be
> pretty-printed into anything you want.
>
> By default people usually want the numbers separated by a '.' but
> if you can put a dot in you can put anything in, thus commas, spaces
> or words. The dot is the usual sequence I've used.

I decided to hack up this just to see what it looks like.

http://people.imendio.com/richard/screenshots/planner-wbs.png

How about we do this for now and think of customizing it later? Note
that this is just visualization like discussed, so the second task in
the list is always 2, etc.

/Richard

--
Richard Hult                    richard imendio com
Imendio                         http://www.imendio.com