Re: [Planner] Opensched and resource scheduling

On Mon, Jan 26, 2004 at 12:22:22AM +0100, Xavier Ordoquy wrote:

> As far as I remember it ended up in the fact that resources can be used
> above 100% and that resource usage shall not be compted by the
> application because it may lead to an infinite number of possibilities.

Well, Opensched does it, AFAIK.  And doesn't MS-Project solve this too?
(I never used *any* MS-software, not even Windows ;-), so I don't know.)

> On another hand I *may* start working on a prototype to compute resource
> plan and add load constraints.

Maybe intergrate the Opensched algorithm?

> Again, lemme take the example I've used before.
> I got 2 resources (R1 and R2) and two tasks (T1 and T2).
> T1 is 35 worked days long and T2 only 5. R2 can work on both but R1 can
> only work on T1. Resources may not be used more than 100%.
>
> So, how do you expect the application to solve that ?

Maybe with priorities on tasks?  If most (all?) tasks have a
different priority, this should limit the possibilities (together
with all kinds of other contraints, like dependencies, fixed
allocation/starting time/dealines, etc.).

> Now if you consider someone should either be allocated 100% to a task
> you're wrong with experts that have various tasks that doesn't take them
> full time (like those that get halftime with a crew and halftime with
> another within a project).

Exactly what I see in real life, so it should indeed be possible to pin
long-lasting tasks for someone for, say, 25% of his/her time.

> Therefore it was decided that planner will not manage resource by itself
> (at least in the near future) but will try to provide an accurate view
> to plan the resource load. (Do you agree on this point richard and
> mickael ?)
>
> The resource usage should be included in the next release (0.12) and
> will help gather opinion on it to make it better then.

I'm curious how this will work, will certainly take a look at it.
I'm not a planning expert, just want to use the tool, and considered
it pretty useless for my purpose with the lack of this functionality.

Thanks,

--
--    Jos Vos <jos xos nl>