Re: [Planner] Opensched and resource scheduling

On Sun, 2004-01-25 at 23:03, Jos Vos wrote:
> Hi,

Hi

> In relation to this: my biggest problem with MrProject was that
> it didn't seem to do resource scheduling, so people easily worked
> on three tasks in parallel for 100% of their time.

This point has also been discussed on the mailing list ([Planner]
Resource dependencies).
As far as I remember it ended up in the fact that resources can be used
above 100% and that resource usage shall not be compted by the
application because it may lead to an infinite number of possibilities.

However I almost finished correcting the majors bugs on the resources
usage (the former timetable) which will offer you to view the resource
load against the time and enable you to move task to reduce load.

On another hand I *may* start working on a prototype to compute resource
plan and add load constraints.

> Has this been improved in the meantime?  Is it planned?  I never
> understood how people could use a planning tool that couldn't do
> at least that, which caused my disappointement for MrProject,

Again, lemme take the example I've used before.
I got 2 resources (R1 and R2) and two tasks (T1 and T2).
T1 is 35 worked days long and T2 only 5. R2 can work on both but R1 can
only work on T1. Resources may not be used more than 100%.

So, how do you expect the application to solve that ?
You can choose

1]
R2 work full time on T2 and then switch on T1. This will make T2 take 5
days and T1 being 20 days (5 (R1) + 2*15 (R1+R2)).

2]
R2 work half time on T1 and T2. This will make T2 last 10 (5/0.5) days
and T1 20 days ( 10 (R1) + 5 (R2) + 2*10 (R1+R2) )

You can vary that as much as you want.
You can't either set the percentage of work on a task before the
computing. If you consider my previous example in the middle of a
project, any task glitch will false the all planning and it may finish
in having a resource used at 50% because you've set it this way.

Consider you have this:

days: 0----10----20----30
T0:   ====== (R1)
T0':  ====== (R2)
T1:         ------======= (R1,R2) (depends on T0)
T2:         ------ (R2,50%) (depends on T0')

Now imagine you just found that there's no need of TO' because it's
something the customer doesn't want to any longer. You'll now have:

days: 0----10----20----30
T0:   ====== (R1)
T1:         ------======= (R1,R2) (depends on T0)
T2:   ------ (R2,50%)

Now if you consider someone should either be allocated 100% to a task
you're wrong with experts that have various tasks that doesn't take them
full time (like those that get halftime with a crew and halftime with
another within a project).
Sharing time as (100/number of tasks) is also wrong because it may
expand the critical path (examples are left as exercices ;)

Therefore it was decided that planner will not manage resource by itself
(at least in the near future) but will try to provide an accurate view
to plan the resource load. (Do you agree on this point richard and
mickael ?)

The resource usage should be included in the next release (0.12) and
will help gather opinion on it to make it better then.

Regards,
Xavier Ordoquy.