[Planner] Re: Planner Digest, Vol 3, Issue 5

Sheldon,

I'm trying out Planner for the first time today. It seems to work very
well so far, but I have a
question. Is there any way for Planner 0.11 to implement dependencies
between tasks based on
(work) resource availability, or do I just have to manually create
task dependencies?

Just in case I'm not sufficiently clear, I have a situation where one
"startup" task is a
predecessor of about 8 different tasks that are logically parallel.
However, all of the tasks are
assigned the same resource at 100% and Planner seems to be perfectly
happy scheduling all of the
tasks simultaneously, although the resource can't actually work at
800% to do all of them in
parallel.

This question goes back to the definition of what a dependency is. Most of the books say that a task A is dependent on a task B if task B can't
start until task A is finished. However, even though the tasks are
logically parallel, if the same person is going to do both tasks, that
person will almost always have a preference in the order they are done.
It is convenient to treat the tasks "as if" they were dependent and to
define dependencies between them.

It is better to define a "treat them as if" dependency than to let the
tool define a random order for the tasks. This shows up most clearly
when you are taking status from the team. Say your team member has been
assigned tasks A, B, and C. that are logically parallel and so can be
done in any order.  Let's assume that the tasks will each take a week
to complete. You let the computer assign an arbitrary order to the
tasks and it comes up with C then B then A. What does your status look
like if the person decides to complete task A first? You would have to
report that task C is late and task A is early. You would also have to
explain to your management and to your customer why it is not a problem
to have a late task. Why create problems for yourself that can be
avoided?
... some snippage...

I don't really see how this relates to my question, which was about
resource overcommitment.

You asked whether there is a way in planner to define dependencies based on resource availability. The answer is "no". Planner only defines one kind of dependency that has to be used for all kinds of situations. The only controls you can set are whether a task should start on a specific date or after all of its prerequisites are complete.

I was also trying to make the point that even if Planner did have an algorithm for automatically adjusting tasks based on resources you might be better off not using it. Microsoft Project has an option for doing this, but most project managers tell me that it is difficult for them to predict the kinds of changes the algorithm will make and difficult to get it to do what they really wanted it to do. The computer just didn't understand the situation as well as they did. They ended up backing out the changes (sometimes starting over) and then making resource adjustments by hand.

The suggestion that Waldemar Augustyn made is the most sensible approach I have heard. Provide a tool kit of simple operations that the manager can use to adjust the schedule. Hopefully that's what Planner will provide in the future.

Perhaps most readers of this list are thinking
about software development projects and expect to a resource to be
capable of being 100% committed to multiple tasks at once. I was thinking of other situations where resources can not be overcommitted. For example,
if the resource is a piece of equipment. Can it be in my office 100% of
time and in your office 100% of the time? You and I might have logically parallel tasks, but if both of our tasks require the equipment resource, they cannot procede in parallel (with 100% resource allocation), no matter
what our manager might wish.

I accept that resource overcommitment should be allowed by the program,
but I would like to be able to make resources non-overcommitable. If I
have a non-overcommitable resource assigned to several logically parallel tasks, then the program might give me a choice: A) order the tasks prefer- entially, or B) allow the tasks to procede in parallel by dividing (equally or not) the resource commitment among the tasks, or C) some combination of
A and B.

My hope is that the program will make it easy to see an potential over commitment (perhaps color coding the tasks -- like many word processors have the option of underling possible misspelled words), but I hope that it doesn't start prompting me how to fix them.

http://www.SimpleProjectManagement.com
(What everyone in your organization needs to know about project management.)