[Planner] Planner does not connect to database

I am using planner 0.12.1 and am having difficulty connecting to a
postgresql database.

I have logging turned on and if I connect to the database using:
telnet server 5432

I can see the connection in the log.

If I try to open or save to the hostname or IP address I get the
following error: "Connection to plannerdb failed" and no connection
shown in the postgresql log.

Having read the mailing list archives I found one error and installed
gda2-postgres.

I start planner on the command line and get the following (no distinct
errors): /usr/local/bin/planner
Bonobo accessibility support initialized
GTK Accessibility Module initialized

I would be really interested and excited if anyone could suggest why I
am unable to get a connection to the database.

Kind regards
Xander