Re: [Planner] Some issues

1. Extension.

It would be nice to abandon this very long ".mrproject" suffix.
Three-letter extensions seem to be a  norm.  *.pln or *.pnr ???
Also, the file dialog box should filter the planner files.

The extension is a bit long, agreed. I'm not sure if it really matters
though? We should definately try to get a filter going for the dialogs
though. It would be great if you could file a bug in the bugzilla database
at

http://bugzilla.gnome.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=planner

OK, I did.

I think this is one of those little annoyances that turn people off.  Most expect three letters extensions, I would give it to them.  Planner is generally pretty good wrt the usability issues.  Very few in-your-face Unixisms.  That's good.

3. Resource overuse

It would be nice to see a diagram of resource use.  Otherwise it is very
difficult to tell that resources are over committed.  (BTW, The planner
*should* allow overcommittment)

The time table view that is being worked on should help here.

Thanks.

4. Performance

Adding/Deleting resources or tasks is very slow.  On a 700Mhz RH-9.0 the
pause is in single seconds range, just long enough to render the Planner
unusable for anything serious.  I do not know how fundamental this is,
but the program has no chance of acceptance if it persists.

I've heard this before, and tried to do some profiling to see what is
slow, but I couldn't really reproduce this. I guess it is some combination
like many links and allocations or something like that that needs some
optimization. It would be great if you could file a bug for this as well,
with a sample file attatched or a description on how to reproduce the
problem.

I did.

I am a little bit surprised at your suggestion this might be intermittent.  I thought it is a lot more basic.  I am not sure if this is good news, though. In any case, the way I see it, the performance has to be worked out.  No manager will risk a project if there is any doubt in this department.

Regards,
Richard