Re: [Planner] Some issues

> I have noticed a few problems not listed in the Roadmap.  It would be
> nice to see them fixed.  I point them out to help with improving the
> usability.  Not criticizing, just trying to help.

It's appreciated :)

> 1. Extension.
>
> It would be nice to abandon this very long ".mrproject" suffix.
> Three-letter extensions seem to be a  norm.  *.pln or *.pnr ???
> Also, the file dialog box should filter the planner files.

The extension is a bit long, agreed. I'm not sure if it really matters
though? We should definately try to get a filter going for the dialogs
though. It would be great if you could file a bug in the bugzilla database
at

http://bugzilla.gnome.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=planner

> 2. PDF export.
>
> Maybe this is a problem with my RedHat, but the *.pdf produced by
> Planner cannot be read by Acroread.  Nor can this be read by a full
> version Adobe Acrobat 5.0 for Win.  The related *.ps export produces
> gibberish text when distilled by the Adobe distiller.

That is probably a problem with the gnome-print version shipped with RHL
9, it should work better with later versions (I'm not 100% sure though).
There has been some work commited to gnome-print lately that should help.

> 3. Resource overuse
>
> It would be nice to see a diagram of resource use.  Otherwise it is very
> difficult to tell that resources are over committed.  (BTW, The planner
> *should* allow overcommittment)

The time table view that is being worked on should help here.

> 4. Performance
>
> Adding/Deleting resources or tasks is very slow.  On a 700Mhz RH-9.0 the
> pause is in single seconds range, just long enough to render the Planner
> unusable for anything serious.  I do not know how fundamental this is,
> but the program has no chance of acceptance if it persists.

I've heard this before, and tried to do some profiling to see what is
slow, but I couldn't really reproduce this. I guess it is some combination
like many links and allocations or something like that that needs some
optimization. It would be great if you could file a bug for this as well,
with a sample file attatched or a description on how to reproduce the
problem.

Regards,
Richard