Re: Need some info on MS project

On Mon, 2008-01-21 at 18:42 +0100, Maurice van der Pot wrote:

> Can anyone tell me how much flexibility you have in MS project in
> defining the WBS number? As I describe in the bug report, it looks like
> you can have a task with WBS 2.0 that has children with WBS 1.3.1 and
> 1.3.2. What is this field really used for?

> The patch uses the OutlineNumber field instead of the WBS field and that
> seems to import fine.

> Are both of these fields visible in the UI of MS project?

Using MS Project 2007, Outline Level, Outline Number, and WBS call all
be added to the display.  The default for WBS is equivalent to Outline
Number, but it can be modified to pretty much anything the user wants it
to be.

Outline level can also be changed, but within the bounds of what's
possible for the task in the outline structure (so you could set a 2 to
a 3, so long as the task above it is a 2, thus making the task above it
a summary task).

Outline Number can't be changed at all.  Its strictly calculated and
corresponds to what we call WBS, so I think you've chosen the right path
for this patch.

Anyone see anything different with an earlier version of MSP?

--
Kurt Maute <Kurt Maute us>