Re: How do we define "fixed duration"?

I've sent a mail to the submitter of the bug and this was his reply:

> Maurice van der Pot wrote:
> > I was looking at the bug you submitted and started a thread on
> > planner-dev to find out what I need to do. Could you take a look and let
> > me know (either directly or through the planner-dev list) what it is you
> > expect from fixed-duration tasks?
>
> In software development, there are certain tasks that are of fixed
> duration but that various people participate in (and therefore their
> time is not available for other tasks).  One such example is a
> code-review.  I allocate a two week period where the entire team is
> busy for X% of their time on doing a code-review.  It doesn't matter
> how many people I have assigned for the task, it always lasts 2 weeks.
> By 2 weeks, I mean 10 work days, so it doesn't include weekends.  It
> also doesn't matter if some people on the task are on vacation for
> some time within the task, the task's duration is independent of any
> individual's schedule.
>
> > Some things to consider:
> > - weekends
>
> I don't count weekends. but it would seem to me that some people might want to
> include weekends.  For example, someone who has a "let the paint dry for 5 days"
> task.  Such a task should take 5 real-days (not 5 working days.)
>
> > - vacation days of the assigned resource
>
> Resources (the number of, their % allocation, and their vacations) should not
> affect the duration of a "fixed duration" task.
>
> > - holidays
>
> I think this is equivalent to the weekend case above.
>
> > - different working hours for the assigned resource (e.g. 12:00 - 16:00)
>
> I'm not sure what you mean.  I think an example might help.  Going back to my
> code-review example, I'm letting a number of individuals provide feedback for
> code-review for a 2 week period (10 working days).  Some of the people assigned
> to the task may work 8 hours / day with a lunch, and others may be part-time
> workers who work 4 hours / day without a lunch.  None of that matters, the task
> must only last 2 weeks (10 working days).

The way I see it we now already have 2 different situations:

1) a task that will go on no matter what (e.g. drying of paint).
   It needs to continue during weekends, nights, etc.

2) an activity for which a certain amount of time is alotted. People
   will be assigned to participate for a certain percentage of their
   time (nr of units).

   We should take the number of hours in a day from the project
   calendar.

   In this case we can calculate work to be the total sum of units spent
   by all assigned resources during this period. If either the nr of
   units for a resource or the duration is modified, we should
   recalculate work. We should probably make work read-only (!).

Are there more types? Kurt, you suggested a task to be done during
curing of concrete, but isn't that more of a finish-to-finish
relationship between the work and the curing?

What I'm looking for is a type of task for which duration & work have
been filled in by the user and for which units should be recalculated.
I'm hoping there is no such task.

How this will be implemented, I'll save for later.

Maurice.

--
Maurice van der Pot

Gentoo Linux Developer   griffon26 gentoo org     http://www.gentoo.org