Re: How do we define "fixed duration"?

On Sat, 2007-10-20 at 16:59 +0200, Maurice van der Pot wrote:
> I was looking at bug #486990: "fixed duration tasks have incorrect
> duration."
>
> What length should a fixed duration task get?
>
>                                             current implementation:
> Should they run during the weekend?           no
> Should they run during general holidays?      no
> ... during vacation of allocated resources?   no
> ... during lunch time?                        no*
>
> *) this is what the bug is about. A fixed duration task of 1 day
> should not end 1 hour before the working day ends just because it
> continues during lunch.

agreed

> P.S.: It looks weird to have a resource allocated for a fixed duration
> task. The units will just be adjusted to make sure the duration stays
> the same. Are these tasks generally used without resources allocated?

Depends.  Sometimes a fixed duration is something like:  "Concrete
Curing" - which takes a fixed amount of time, and no resource needs to
be assigned.  Other times it can be used for a human performed task that
simply must be done in a set amount of time (can't think of a good one
off hand) - maybe you need to set bolts in the concrete before its
cured or something.  In this case, you'd want the units to adjust so you
notice you've got one guy allocated at 400% and maybe you should send a
few more to lend him a hand.

--
Kurt Maute <Kurt Maute us>