Re: Completion should be effort invested instead of percentage of duration

On Sat, Jan 20, 2007 at 07:39:18PM -0500, Kurt Maute wrote:
> If attempts to bring the project back in line with the agreed upon
> schedule fail, the a new baseline may be negotiated with the customer,
> and then you'd extend the time line at that point.

Ah, ok.

Another question. If you've spent a certain amount of effort on a task.
How do you determine if you're behind? What is estimated? The percentage
complete, effort left, work done? I know they all provide more or less
the same info, but which one is determined first?

> I could see a use for creating a view of what a projected schedule would
> look like based on progress to date so it can be compared to baseline,
> but not to automatically adjust the project schedule on the fly.

I would not like planner to extend duration automatically either.

Ok, so what if I were to add a 'work done' field instead of an
'effort spent' one and I'd allow the user to select how to track
progress (in percentage or in work done) as described before?

I could use this feature myself by just filling in effort spent in the
work done field, because I always just extend the task to make 'effort
spent' equal to 'work done' before I save the planning.

In your experience I suppose this feature doesn't offer much, unless the
answer to my first question was that you estimate progress by 'work done'.

Regards,
Maurice.

--
Maurice van der Pot