Re: Completion should be effort invested instead of percentage of duration

Hi guys,

I invite anyone on this list to share their planning experience on the
issues below, because I would really like to get a complete picture of
how features are used.

On Sat, Jan 06, 2007 at 12:39:20PM -0500, Kurt Maute wrote:
> My thought is that %complete and work done should be linked such that
> if the user changes one, the other should be (optionally) recalculated
> (having not looked at your patch yet, I don't know if you've got this
> in there.

No, not at the moment.

> One thing I don't like about MSP is the fact that it makes assumptions
> about recalculating task fields based on user input (i.e. a date
> change recalculates work).  I think we should create some way for the
> user to control how the calculations are done so that if the task work
> field is modified, the user has control over whether %complete gets
> recalculated (work done remains same) or if %complete remains the same
> and work done gets recalculated.

Do you have any examples where it makes sense for the user to specify
%complete instead of work done? Because if there is no such situation,
then %complete should be no more than a different view on the same
information and not something that could be fixed to force a recalculation
of work done.

In any case, the %complete feature interacts with the 'fixed duration'
feature, so in order to provide useful functionality for the former I
first need to understand the latter.

What kinds of tasks would have a fixed duration?

I noticed that the length of fixed duration tasks is calculated by
essentially taking the starting time of the first working period and the
finishing time of the last working period on each day and subtracting
the difference from the total duration until it's 0.

This means that the length does depend in part on the working time,
while it does not take all of it into account. How is this feature used?
What kinds of activities go on during lunch time but not, for instance,
after the working day ends?

I think it would make more sense if a fixed duration task with a
duration of 7 days would either be as long as a fixed work task with 7
days of work and no resources, or 2 days shorter (if it should continue
through the weekend). But again, I don't know of any real-world examples
yet.

Best regards,
Maurice.

--