Re: [Planner Dev] Prop. for new feat. - first patch

On Wed, Jan 18, 2006 at 08:08:44PM +0100, Richard Hult wrote:
> Richard Hult skrev:
> >
> >I'm just talking about the naming scheme in the code though. The UI
> >shouldn't have a name for this in my opinion, it's just a task with a
> >high priority that should get scheduled before other tasks.
> >
> >It might even be good enough for the code to just talk about priorities
> >too. And any task with a priority higher than other tasks, will
> >"vampire" on those lower priority tasks. What do you think about that
> >Matteo?
>
> I realize that I should clairify what I meant here. I mean that it would
> be nice to get the same kind of delaying of lower prioritized tasks no
> matter if the (so-called vampire) tasks are fixed in time or not, and
> just let the priority decide which task gets the resource usage first.
>
> This would improve the scheduling a lot and we would get rid of the very
> annoying synthetic dependencies or fixed dates that you are forced to
> use now to get tasks scheduled properly.
>
> I haven't looked closely at the patch yet to see whether that would be
> possible though. What do you say Matteo, does it make sense to you?
Vampire task are the first step to go in this direction.

In my mind vampire tasks are a special (and simple) case of much more
complex scenario of full priorities management; vampire is a "preview"
of it without full implementing it and solves the common case (for me)
of temporary re-allocation of some resource to a not planned task (and
not necessarly project related).

To talk about priorities (IMHO) we must open a discussion to identify
very well what are independent variables, what policies need to apply them,
if the data behind planner is adeguate to our needs, a set of sufficient
use cases, if there are some cases where there are not univocal
policies and so on.

In addition to this I don't know if it's necessary some form of "real
resources usage tracker" where eventually store info about the real flow
of the project.

I agree the opinion that see vampire only as a particular case of high
priority task, in fact the graphical code just don't use this property
except to magnify it with red dashed border.

> This
> would still give you your original feature, you would just add a task
> with very high priority to make sure it gets scheduled before other
> tasks, or the same priority if you want it to share the resources with
> other tasks.
To have task floating on time axis there is a lot of work to made.
(if you see my initial conditions I explicitly told that a task is vampire
only if it is on fixed date).

For Carsten:
  1) You write too much ;).

  2) Keep calm, isn't necessary any flag to identify a task like vampire,
     no modifications to xml are required, vampire task are recognised by
     it's priority and if it is scheduled at fixed date.

  3) Vampire tasks are not strictly related to the project, the visit of an
     important customer that you must look after or a meeting long a day with
     potential partner with all your stuff are potential vampire candidates.

I hope to have explain my point of view well.

> /Richard

Regards, Matteo.